24.3.08

a little bit about me

Factoids
  • started programming at the age of 5.
  • father is a professor of History in Montreal.
  • mother is a bookstore owner in the east coast.
  • dog was named after a game character.
  • graduated as valedictorian in a specialized science highschool.
  • appeared on Extended Play, CNet T.V. and Call For Help.
  • favorite food is sushi.
  • favorite drink is green tea chai.
  • speaks 6 languages.
  • is a vegetarian.
Hi, my name is Jay Monret and I'm a game systems engineer for the gaming industry. Chances are that you came here to find out a little more about who I am and what I do, and so I'll try my best to deliver. I hope you enjoy my ramblings enough to join the industry or become interested enough to follow your passion into your future career.

Short Biography

My full name is Jolie Marie Monret, but family and friends call me Jay or Marie. I was born on January 16, 1982 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I'm half French Canadian, one-fourth Cherokee Indian, and one-fourth Irish. I currently live in Montreal with my husband, two kids and our nearly 2 year-old Lhapso Poodle, Altair.

I have a degree in Computers from McGill University, and a B.S. in Computer Science and Engineering from Columbia University.

My Job

I serve as the liaison of technologies with the hardware of gaming consoles and its software. As a game systems engineer, I have to familiarize myself and others with the new things that we are doing or discovering for the next generation. This means extensive and thorough knowledge of programming languages, and the ability to train and collaborate with others working on the games themselves. I also aid in the development of software and tools to streamline the process of making a working game.

The companies that create the hardware and their development teams work with us to ensure that our reading material and resources are updated with revisions. If someone needs assistance with any of the software or making software work with the hardware, it is also my job to explain how they work.

Throughout the course of developing a game, my job function also changes. Working closely with the producers and managers, I need to be able to provide them with quality assurance that work will be done on time.

I am also like other programmers who debug and crunch code, except that I specialize in optimization. Even though I do work like the others in the team, I'm not assigned to one particular project.